Help available for Queenslanders doing it tough this holiday season

Queenslanders who need a helping hand this holiday period can access a range of services and supports to ease the financial burden.

For Queenslanders experiencing housing stress over this period, Housing Service Centres will be reopen on 3 January. If you are in need of support outside of their opening period can call the Homeless Hotline on 1800 474 753 or 13QGOV (13 74 68).

Bond loans and rental grants are also available to eligible people who move into private rental accommodation.

Support is available from St Vincent de Paul Society, The Salvation Army, and Lifeline during the post-Christmas and New Year break.

“While Christmas can be a time of celebration and joy for many of us, we know the holiday season can leave some people feeling lonely or socially isolated, and I’d encourage them to reach out for help,” Ms Enoch said.

Minister Enoch also warned people not to use predatory payday lenders, and to instead reach out to legitimate services if they need financial help.

For eligible people earning a net income less than $45,000, the No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS) provides loans of up to $2,000 to Queenslanders for the purchase of essential goods and services, such as whitegoods, medical and dental services, car registration and other household items.

More information about the scheme is available by phoning 13 64 57.

Other key services available over the holiday period include:

    • Homeless Hotline:  1800 474 753
    • Housing assistance and support: or contact Housing Service Centres on 137468 or visit:
  • Lifeline: phone or text 13 11 14
  • St Vincent de Paul Society: phone 1800 846 643
  • The Salvation Army: phone 13 72 58
  • Emergency Relief Program:

Domestic and family violence help:

  • DV Connect Womensline:  1800 811 811
  • DV Connect Mensline:  1800 600 636

Queenslanders can also:

  • apply for a bond loan or a rental grant at
  • use the Tenant Assist app (for public housing tenants to check rental balances and update contact details
  • use the Housing Assist Qld app (apply for or check your bond loan calculator, or find out about housing)
  • contact emergency maintenance for public housing tenants: phone 1800 808 107 or self-service online at

%d bloggers like this: