Robert Whyte identifies a tiny spider at Bymien picnic area during the 2019 Cooloola BioBlitz. Photo, Linda Tabe
Cooloola Coastcare’s Annual General Meeting moves to August 24 in 2019 as their year now aligns to the financial year, as opposed to the calendar year at Tin Can Bay RSL Hall, Gympie Rd, Tin Can Bay from 1pm to 3.30pm. Nominations for the management team close at 5pm on August 9.
At noon, a celebration and welcome to new and potential members ‘pot luck’ lunch will precede the short AGM and members and interested members of the public are asked to please bring a plate to share.
Coastcare is a great way to meet new people and join a group making a difference by caring for our coastal region. Come along and find out about Coastcare’s many different projects and the various roles for volunteers of all ages and capabilities.
Coastcare projects making a difference in 2019 included:
- Cooloola BioBlitz 2019 discovered 22 new species and bought 100 visitors to the region.
- Coastcare’s ongoing research into loss of seagrass and biodiversity in Tin Can Inlet was reported to stakeholders and the community.
- TurtleCare have recently rescued three marine turtles from local beaches.
- Coastcare’s Weed Warriors have removed weeds and are revegetating an area of Tin Can Bay Foreshore.
- New Wildflower Walks provided field-based education about the plants and the local history as well as some scenic exercise.
- WaterWatch volunteers and youth were involved in water quality monitoring at 20 sites and learned about how water bugs can indicate water quality.
Dr Lindy Orwin, Coordinator