Ambulance Committee advise safety over Easter break

These magnets are found at local libraries

These magnets are found at local libraries

Cheryl Zunic, Treasurer

A recent newspaper article again highlighted the dangers of button batteries for small children.

The Cooloola Coast Local Ambulance Committee previously obtained a supply of Button Battery Aware magnets and distributed them throughout the community. The magnets stress the need to be vigilant and also give advice on what action is to be taken if one is swallowed.

If you wish to obtain a magnet, please visit the local libraries or contact the LAC Secretary on 5486 3161. There is also a leaflet attached which provides further details along with safety tips on handling button batteries.

With the school holidays and Easter break approaching, it is timely to warn parents of the dangers for children around campfires. Apart from the obvious need to supervise children near a fire, parents need to be aware of the correct way to extinguish a campfire.

Sand or dirt should not be used as heat up to 100 degrees Celsius can remain for over eight hours and children have been burnt stepping on the site of a campfire. A fire put out with a bucket of water will retain little or no heat after a period of 10 minutes. If burns occur, they should be treated with cold running water and medical assistance sought immediately.

And don’t forget Bingo is held every Thursday at the Tin Can Bay Country Club and the first Monday of the month at the Rainbow Beach Community Hall, both commencing at 9.30am.

%d bloggers like this: